Seniors are at greater risk of safety issues as they get older, especially if they are living alone. Fortunately, there are ways to evaluate the risks, and to minimize them so that seniors and their loved ones can rest easier. Here are some home safety tips for seniors:
- Are there working night lights in appropriate places in the home?
- Are extension cords and rugs securely fastened and away from the line of traffic?
Does the senior have access to a phone or other type of emergency call system in every room?
- Are all cooling and heating methods functioning properly? Space heaters should be kept away from flammable items.
Medications & Health
- Do they have access to their dentist and doctors? Are they keeping up on appointments?
- Are their glasses and/or hearing aids in good working condition?
- Have they created a medication/supplement/OTC medications list?
- Has there been any significant weight gain or loss recently?
- Are they showing signs that their eyesight is worsening?
- Are they able to get into and out of the bath or shower safely?
- Can they use the toilet independently?
- Is the bathtub fitted with no-skid strips or a mat?
- How clean is the bathroom?
- Are there grab bars to help keep them from falling?
- Are there any signs that they may have fallen recently – like bruises or scratches?
- If they still have a license, are they still able to drive safely? (Accompanying them on a trip will help determine this).
- Can they manage up and down the stairs safely?
- If they need help with walking – such as with a cane or walker, is it in good working condition?
- Can they safely get themselves out of bed?
- Can they hold an understandable and coherent conversation?
- Are there signs of memory loss?
- Are they able to recognize friends and family?
- Have there been any episodes of them getting lost?
Always Best Care has been providing exceptional care giving services to seniors all over the United States and Canada since 1996. During that time, their compassionate caregivers have logged over three million hours assisting over 25,000 seniors. Folks living in the Raleigh area, who are interested in Apex home health care and home care services in Clayton, are invited to call the Always Best Care Raleigh location at 919-724-4297 to set up a free care consultation. They look forward to hearing from you!