There are many reasons why seniors become more susceptible to falls than when they were younger. There’s declining bone density, declining muscle strength, increase in number of medications they are taking, failing vision, and more. One out of every three seniors falls every year, and some of these lead to physical complications that are irreversible. Breaking a hip is one of the most common complications from a fall (95% of hip fractures are caused by falls), so it’s important to know about these dangers and how to avoid them.
Who is most at risk?
While all seniors are – generally – at risk of falling, there are other factors that come into play including:
- Women are more likely to fall than men
- People of Asian and Caucasian ethnicity are more prone to falls
- People who are small boned are more at risk
- People who are slender are more at risk
- Those who don’t exercise regularly are more prone to falls
- People who don’t eat a nutritious diet that keeps bones strong are more at risk
- Those with alcohol or drug addictions are more prone to falling
- People who have cluttered homes are also more likely to fall
What can you do to prevent a fall?
- Keep a journal or log of all of your medications. Know which ones have side effects that include dizziness, tiredness, etc. Take these at night before bed if possible. Talk to your doctor if these side effects become a problem.
- Assess your home. What types of hazards are in your home? This can include rugs that aren’t tacked down properly, cords that are in the path of traffic, an absence of grab bars in the bathtub, insufficient lighting, and unstable furniture. Get help to rectify these problems.
- See your eye doctor annually. When you can’t see well, you’re more likely to trip and fall. A regular visit to the doctor will help you stay alert.
- Exercise regularly. This will help strengthen your body in general, and make you less prone to falls.
Seniors who live in the Raleigh area, who are interested in learning about assisted living in Raleigh NC or Cary assisted living, are encouraged to call the Always Best Care Raleigh location at 919-724-4297 to set up a free consultation. They look forward to talking with you!
Always Best Care is a senior care giving provider with numerous locations throughout the United States and Canada. Their compassionate caregivers have logged over three million care giving hours assisting over 25,000 seniors since 1996. The Always Best Care team in Raleigh, NC is led by Sanjay Das, who is dedicated and deeply committed to providing only the most exemplary care to his senior clients.
Always Best Care helps seniors in a couple of different ways. They provide in-home care services to those who wish to stay in their homes beyond their retirement years, and they also provide free referrals for senior living communities for those who are ready to transition from their home to a different environment. Seniors who are interested in receiving home care assistance in Raleigh are encouraged to call the Always Best Care Raleigh location for information about Apex home health care and senior care for all of the surrounding areas.
And, because they are so committed to their senior residents, Always Best Care not only provides the above services but they also go above and beyond to provide a number of special services to their clients, as well. These include:
- Always Safe. This is a fall detection and prevention system that allows seniors and their family’s piece of mind. Falls can be fatal for seniors, and one out of every three senior falls every year. Aside from being fatal they can also cause brain injuries and severe loss of independence. Talk to your professional care coordinator about the costs associated with Always Safe.
- Always in Touch. This is a free program designed to help seniors (and disabled people) who live remotely or alone, and don’t have much contact with the outside world. This service is for those living in both the United States and Canada.
- Always on Call. Need a doctor at 3 am? As a client of Always Best Care, it’s no problem. They provide their clients with a network of US Board Certified physicians that can be reached at any time of the day.
If you are a senior living in the Raleigh area and would like to schedule a free appointment with Always Best Care to discuss home care assistance in Raleigh or Apex home health care, contact the Raleigh office at 919-724-4297 today.